Thank you Melissa, my friend and fellow mompreneur-turned-blogger for nominating me for the 2017 Liebster Award! She blogs on clean living, family life, and money and time savers at Our Happy Hive (ourhappyhive.com). One of my favourite blog posts from Melissa is “20 Time-Saving Cooking Hacks You Need to Know!” because I’m all about keeping it simple in the kitchen!
And what is this Liebster Award you ask?
It’s an award for new bloggers with 200 readers or less. It’s given by bloggers to bloggers as “a way to be discovered but also to connect and support the blogging community.” – The Global Aussie.
If you were nominated, or are interested in the rules for accepting the Liebster Award Nomination, visit: The Global Aussie.
Q & A to Accept the Nomination
So, the Liebster Award is a “pay it forward” method of helping new bloggers connect with others and gain more readers. To accept the nomination, I have to answer a few fun questions about myself provided by Melissa, share some facts about myself, plus spread the love by nominating other bloggers.
What is your favorite blog?
The first blog I actively followed and interacted with as a new mom was The Monarch Mommy. It’s still one of my favourites! Not only does she have an amazing selection of blog posts on mom life, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, car seat safety and more, she is also active in Facebook moms groups. Time and time again she has come to my rescue to help tweak my cloth diaper laundry routine, and she even took time to help me troubleshoot some car seat issues I was having with my toddler (she is also a certified car seat tech). She is an amazing resource who has saved my butt more than once! One of my favourite blog posts of hers, which helped set me straight for a better cloth diaper wash routine, is “Four Fundamentals of Washing Cloth Diapers.” She has loads of legit product reviews too, often with accompanying giveaways.
Out of all the countries, you have visited, which one did you like the most?
Well I am quite partial to Canada to be honest. We have so many beautiful, wonderful places here, and incredible variation in our landscape, I feel like I’ve barely begun to discover my own land! Not to mention the tendency towards clean bathrooms with toilet paper (most of the time). But I’ve also really enjoyed exploring Cambodia/Thailand, living for a short while in New Zealand, and going on a Costa Rican adventure for my honeymoon!
What are 3 qualities about your best friend that you love?
Well this is where I get real with you. I don’t have a best friend, at least not in the traditional sense. I actually haven’t had a best friend since middle school. I have close girl friends, but no one who would consider me their closest and best friend. Sometimes that makes me sad. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I’m just unlikeable or unworthy of being someone’s best friend. But I choose to be thankful for the people in my life and not dwell on it. Fortunately, my husband is a precious part of my life, as is having a rich spiritual life and friendship with Jesus.
What are your hobbies? (Blogging doesn’t count)
Hobbies, what are those? Does collecting all the cutest cloth diaper prints count? Or chasing after your toddler at the play place to get her to stop throwing her diaper down the slide? Or how about breastfeeding my now almost two year old who just won’t give it up (I’m actually quite thankful that breastfeeding was easy this time around)? Lately, my hobby has been frantically trying to use and preserve the bucket loads of apples we got from our tree this year.
Why did you start blogging?
I love writing. I actually help non-profits with grant applications and copywriting on a contractual basis. As a mom struggling to stay on top of my postpartum mental health, blogging became an outlet for me to express how I was feeling and work through the mixed up thoughts in my head. It’s been quite therapeutic! And if I can connect with other moms in similar scenarios and encourage them along the way, even better!
What have you learned from blogging?
Actually, it’s the technical side of blogging where I’m learning an incredible amount. I had a decent grasp on websites and social media prior to this, but figuring out how the blogging community works and how to have people actually find your blog articles is fascinating. I’m learning and working on how to effectively use Pinterest and how to engage people on Facebook, plus getting a handle on WordPress add-ons and layouts. It’s a lot, but I think it’s fun too. I’m also learning how to pace myself. I have a huge list of things I want to do to promote the blog and posts I want to write, but I have to prioritize my family and my clients first, so the blog becomes something I do at a slower pace. This leads to frustration on a regular basis for me, but I’m learning to breathe and let things happen a little slower than I’d like.
What is a quirky thing you do?
I worship during church through spontaneous dance, incorporating flags and banners. I’m that lady bringing a pile of flags with me to church! I’d call that pretty quirky. You can see an example of my dance here.
10 More Random Facts About ME
- My husband is over a decade older than me, but he likes to think you could never tell.
- With my second labour, my son came so quickly I ended up giving birth at home on the living room carpet.
- I am a cat person, though I don’t own any cats at this time. But my dream is to have a Sphinx cat, whom I will name Spock, and a Bengal cat, whom I will name Jim.
- In case you didn’t get the above reference, I am a die-hard Trekkie (since elementary school)! I was instantly labelled “nerd-freak” in high school when I swore at someone in Klingon.
- I taught Zumba Fitness classes up until 36 weeks with both my pregnancies. And yes, both my kids like dancing!
- I get bad canker sores from citrus foods, but I eat them anyways and just deal with the consequences afterwards (swishing my mouth with water while eating citrus fruit helps).
- I can be quite sarcastic and tend to have self-depreciating humour, but you might already know that about me if you’ve read some of my humour posts.
- As part of my post-secondary degree in Public Relations, I took internships in New Zealand and in Prince Edward Island.
- I love performing. I won the drama award in high school and I had the privilege of performing some hip hop routines with Mpact Dance at Theatre Junction Grand in 2013. Some day I’ll get back to it!
- God is my anchor and my guiding light. In Him I live and move and have my being (Acts 17:28).
My Nominee Picks
There is still time to get nominated! So far, here are my choices:
There is Always Hope by Pamela Jessen
About: Pam shares what it’s like to live with chronic pain and illness – which often isn’t “visible” or “obvious” to people from the outside. She is a health advocate and a warmhearted person who, despite experiencing much pain herself, chooses to remain thankful and be an encouragement to others!
Chasity with Sassy Country Mama
About: I love Chasity’s honesty and vulnerability when it comes to challenges in her marriage, living out her faith and more. Check out her heartfelt blog!
Questions for Nominees
- What is your favourite snack?
- What was your favourite subject in school?
- What TV show keeps you glued to the screen?
- Who do you look up to or gain inspiration from?
- What is your favourite thing to write about in your blog?
- What keeps you motivated to keep blogging?
- What is one of your favourite comments you’ve received about your blog (in person, on your site or on social media) and why did it brighten your day?
- What would you say your primary love language is (words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time or physical touch)?
- What is an inspirational quote or a personal rule that you live by?
- Have you ever felt like you were in a Kobayashi Maru scenario and what did you do? (Bonus points if you didn’t have to google what that means!)
- Share a tip for how you encourage yourself when you are feeling down.
That’s a Wrap Folks!
If you are one my nominees, pleave me a comment here letting me know you’ve completed your acceptance post. I’d love to check out your responses! To the rest of my readers, just leave a comment with a fun fact about yourself!
If you have any questions on accepting the Liebster Award, go to Global Aussie for more details. Please note, you also want to make sure and comment on his post letting him know you’ve been nominated.
Again, my sincere thanks to Melissa of Our Happy Hive for the nomination!
I hope you had fun reading this post and learning more about me!