My Best Mom Hack: #5 Wastelessier
There is nothing I hate more than spending my hard earned money at the grocery store, only to have my food go slimy, moldy or rotten on me! It feels like I am throwing my wallet into the garbage bin! Thankfully, my food waste has substantially decreased (and my dollars are stretched further) using Thrive Life freeze dried food! I am an Independent Consultant with Thrive Life (see Disclosure).
We’ve all been here:
If it makes you feel any better, you’re not the only one. It’s a ginormous problem in the U.S. and Canada.
So what can we do about it? Well, meal planning is definitely a solution. But sometimes, you don’t have time to spend your weekend prepping meals for the week ahead. Or maybe you get just want to have supplies on hand for whatever you feel like making or snacking on… but then you are in that rush to get it eaten before it goes to waste!
Less Accidental Food Waste
Thrive Life is my favourite “waste less” mom hack in my tool belt! As you can see in the video, over time I have built up quite the stash, what I call my home “food store.” Need some red peppers for a dish I decided to throw together? No need to get my husband to pick things up on his way home, I got it right here! Or you got sick or there was a family crisis? The grocery store rush is one less thing to worry about.
- 25 year shelf life for most of our produce and meats
- 1 year shelf life for most items once open
(I think that gives you enough time to use that broccoli or those strawberries up! There are some exceptions though, so you can read our Shelf Life Fact Sheet to double check!)
Take one of the worst culprits, bananas, for instance:
I’ve switched almost entirely to freeze dried bananas for my family’s snacking and smoothie purposes. Bonus – they make a great gluten free cracker for peanut butter, and you never have to deal with fruit flies!
Have an amazing Variety of Nutrition-Dense Food at Home!
Another great example that have helped our family thrive (and beat the constant influx of cold germs thanks to having children in preschool) is having a fabulous variety of fresh, nutrient rich greens on hand.
Dark coloured greens are so important, nutritionists often put them in their own category and recommend you get some every day! Kale, Spinach & Broccoli are rich in vitamins A, C, E, K, B, fiber, iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium. Plus healthy greens have:
- FOLATE to keep your heart strong, prevent birth defects and protect DNA to fight against cancer
- VITAMIN K to protect bones from osteoporosis and help prevent inflammatory diseases
- CAROTENOIDS – antioxidants that protect cells and help block early stages of cancer, as well as lower risk of heart disease
- FIBER to regulate the digestive tract and aid in weight management
- LOW-GLYCEMIC to help protect your insulin levels
They are so good for you, but how often do you find yourself throwing out a third of the broccoli you got because it turned brown? Or ditching that salad mix that sometimes goes slimy even before the best before date? This is where our freeze dried greens really shine!
Our greens are so easy to hide in soups, stews, casseroles, stir fries, scrambled eggs, smoothies and more!
And you get this incredible shelf life without the typical nasty additives! Our freeze drying process is so high tech, it’s just not necessary for the preservation process.
Simple. Clean. Food.
- No preservatives
- No added sugar or oils (fyi: one exception to sugar is our sweetened cranberries that are dusted with cane sugar)
- No sulphites
- Many certified gluten free options!
- BPA-free cans – nothing leaching into the food!
Mashed potatoes are a perfect example. Check out the ingredients (ahem, ingredient) on Thrive Life’s mashed potatoes compared to a typical instant boxed mashed potato:
At any given time, I have over 30 different unique produce items in my cold room! They are all ready and waiting to go for me, without fear of them going bad.
Wastelessier on Your Wallet
Don’t just let this delicious, nutritious food sit in your basement waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse (though it is great for that too). Use it and see how it can help you:
- Save money by eating out less often on busy evenings or jam packed work days.
- Save money by throwing out less food.
- Save money by reducing your reliance on too many supplements for your nutrition (just stick with the key ones you see the best results from, and get the rest of your phytonutrients and minerals from superior nutrition food).
- Save money by stocking up when things go on sale.
Since using Thrive Life, I’ve tracked about a 20% savings in our overall food bill. It really can make a difference!
Because this food has an extraordinary shelf life, you can buy that asparagus when it goes on sale, and then save it for the fall when it’s out of season and hard to find for a reasonable price locally.
And for when you’re ready to get some, well I’ve got your covered with some great tips for getting the best value on the food!
What food goes bad on you most often? What items from Thrive Life could help you tackle your food budget?
KEEP READING >>> #6 GET SOME (Ordering Tips and Suggestions)
Or go back to the beginning of the #BESTMOMHACK Series.